Thursday, February 5, 2009

Making a Lemonade Stand

At the beginning of January, my husband came home to tell me that he was laid off from his job. I wasn't shocked that this had happened because he prepared me a couple of months before that it could happen in 2009. However I was a little surprised because I don't think that I thought it was going to occur so soon.

We both went through a range of emotions. There was surprise that it had happened right after the first of the year. There was relief that he didn't have to make that 3+ hour round trip commute anymore. And there was concern about what we were going to do financially.

I think like most people we needed time to decompress and figure out our game plan. We knew we needed to sit down and discuss how we were going to provide for our family and stay in our house. Also, there was the question of what my husband was going to do now that he was unemployed. Was he going to look for another job closer to home? Was he going to be forced to look at jobs that would give him yet another considerable commute? Or was there something else that he should now do?

It usually takes some sort of drastic change (usually not by our doing) to initiate a complete perspective change. A decision, realization, loss or any other moment when our thought processes shift from thinking one way to having a whole new appreciation for something else forces us to consider that maybe there is another way. Maybe there is a way to be happier. Maybe there is a way to do what we have always wanted to do. Maybe that time is now.

He was at a crossroads.

We have been together for over eight years and the entire time that I have known him, he has wanted to start his own business. There are certain people that are just born with that entrepreneur heart and he is definitely one of them. Entrepreneurs can create, set in motion and manage something without the fear of failure. They can take a step out away from the pack to pursue their heart's desire without the security of a corporate backing or company health benefits. It's a risky world, but it is also the most fulfilling place for an entrepreneur.

Years ago when he approached me with this idea, I was completely against it. I didn't like the lack of security or feared it was too outside what "everyone else does". Despite this, he continued to dream about the opportunity while building his skillset as a corporate recruiter with several good companies.

Again, the topic was revisited and this time we both knew that it felt right. We have been praying a lot to God for direction, guidance and resources and I get a completely content feeling about him pursuing this. Should I be this content? Probably not - we have 2 children and a mortgage which we didn't have before, but I think that is why I am so supportive. I have spent eight years getting to know my husband and I have learned many things, but this one is the most important of all - I trust him and know that he will provide for us.

It's amazing how much things can change and how if we pray for guidance, God will give us not only direction, but the comfort in knowing we are making the right decision. I pray twindada's business thrives and it is able to provide for our family. I don't pray for anything beyond that, I just want God's provisions. Some may question starting a business in today's market, but I feel this is the best time to start! Having a presence in the market right now will set him up for the future when job growth picks up again. It is those who ran away at this time that will not come out on top when the economy turns upward.

So, if you find that your life has taken a change that you weren't expecting consider the old saying, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade." It is so true that our reaction to something weighs far greater than the event itself. We must push on despite the economy, loss of jobs and trying to stretch money that doesn't seem to want to stretch. Life goes on and we have to be ready to accept God's blessings and learn from His guidance. Wow, do I know this lesson. I get "educated" in this several times a year. (You would think I would have learned by now?)

We are embracing the opportunity to change our lives forever. My husband gets his "shot" to see what he can do in the business ownership world and I get my family all under one roof. (Which for those who know me well understand that I am a homebody and like all my birds in the nest, so I am in heaven.)

Life took an unexpected turn and we are taking the chance to stop dreaming and start doing.

Time to start squeezing.

4 comments:

Hajar Zamzam Ismail said...

God bless you! I'm praying for your family's success. I wish you all the best.

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! This is long overdue and I hope you guys experience great success with your new venture!

Helene said...

You have an amazing attitude and your husband is a lucky guy to have such a supportive wife!! I wish you both the very best of luck in your new business!!

Kim said...

I love your attitude, and this is an inspirational post. What a scary but exciting time. All things work together . . .

BTW, I want to interview you but don't know how to get a hold of you. Can you e-mail me?