Thursday, May 14, 2009

We Heart Art!

Three Bay B Chicks, Domestically Challenged, and I'm Living Proof that God Has a Sense of Humor are hosting We Heart Art this week and are looking for creative stuff from little kids and big kids alike.

For We Heart Art, I thought it would fun to show an activity that we did recently. I was desperate for a little glimpse of summer after so many cold, rainy days, so we decided to make Butterfly Masks.


Paper Plate Butterfly Masks

What you will need:

Cheap paper plates (ones without coating work best)
crayons/markers/paint
elastic string or ribbon
scissors
ruler

This is an excellent way to get your little ones involved. Mine are only 2 years old, so there aren't very many craft projects we can do together yet. I simply gave them each a paper plate and they colored all over paper plate with whatever colors they wanted. The more colors, the better!

After they were finished, I cut out butterfly shapes. I measured the distance between their eyes quickly with a ruler and then cut out eye holes. Lastly, I poked very small holes on each side. I didn't have elastic string, but ribbon worked well.

Here are some pictures of our activity! Enjoy!



Peanut showing off not a mask, but a new type of hat. I guess that is creative, too, right?



Jelly Bean decided that it was better as a hat, too.

I am just a kid at heart.

5 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I am a kid a heart too! You completely would've found me with one on my face as well! What a cute, easy and fun project. Thanks for sharing!

Helene said...

I love it! You know what's so awesome about that craft is that it's so simple and lets them use their imagination in designing it however they want! I love that you made yourself one too...I would've done the same thing!

erin said...

how fun! that's a great idea!

3 Bay B Chicks said...

This idea is inspired. If we were to make these in my house, my fear would be that my son would not take them off!

Also wanted to let you know that we left a bit of link love for you on our site today:

http://3baybchicks.blogspot.com/2009/05/thoughts-from-laundry-room.html.

Thanks so much for participating in We Heart Art!

-Francesca

Hajar Zamzam Ismail said...

LOL! They are so cute! Hats are fun too.