Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Potty Training S.O.S.

Ha! I hope that I don't have too many of these in the coming months (years), but I do have a question for all those mamas who have potty trained or know people who have potty trained their twins (or singular tots, too.) We are going to be embarking on a whole new journey - how to use the potty and stop wearing diapers because mama is sick of spending $100+ a month in something that somebody poops in and then we throw away. Seriously, isn't that awful?

I have slight suspicions that at least one of my twin girls is interested in the potty. Don't worry, I don't have too high of expectations because they are still quite young at 20 months. However I figured that if I didn't have a potty chair even available for them, then how would they know this was an option?

So, now it is time to suck your brain:

1. What potty chair would you recommend for girls who are a tad on the short side?

2. Should I get 2 potty chairs since I would (ideally) be training both girls?

3. What advice can you share so that I don't learn the hard way on something? (See my previous post below.)

Thanks, mamas! I couldn't do this without you! (And the girls, too, of course since it is up to them.) Wow, our family budget lies in the hands of my girls...now that is some serious power.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only advice I have is to get two exact same seats. If you don't, they will fight over which one belongs to whom and it will get out of hand. I'm desperate to potty train my almost 3 1/2 year old boy, but he is just not interested yet. :(

Helene said...

I second what Lori said. Get 2 of the same potties for them so there is no fighting. I'm in the midst of potty training Garrett and Landon too...well, at least trying to introduce them to the concept. We have just some simple little potty chairs that I keep in the bathroom (I think we got ours at Target). What I like about them is that the seat comes off and can go directly onto the big potty, if they choose to train on that instead. Cole trained on the big potty.

Probably the best way to introduce them to the idea is to let them come into the bathroom with you (as if they don't already, right?) and just talk to them about what's happening and encourage them to sit on the potty too. I let them sit on the potty with clothes at this point. Just to get them used to it. They're starting to get into it now and they'll imitate things and they love sitting on their potties. Still no success yet but at least we're making strides in the right direction!

Something else that helped with my older twins was everytime they pooped in their diaper, we would take the diaper to the bathroom and empty the poop into the toilet. They actually liked flushing it themselves.

I can't wait to be done with diapers around here!!! I'm so right there with you!

BTW, I have an award for you on my blog!